Monday, August 21, 2006

European Flame

An old book, the second reading:

1. The Flame Tree by Yang-May Ooi - Sybil commented; "A highly-charged, highly-readable thriller. It's also a fine portrait of a young Asian woman struggling to establish her own identity in Western society... Set against the contrasting backdrops of well-heeled London legal life and the lush, tropical highlands of Malaysia, the novel is a gripping, intelligent debut masterpiece from a writer with a future"

A new book, a new perspective:

2. I just bought it at Kinokuniya KLCC. Almost French: A New Life in Paris by Sarah Turnbull. As the writer wrote; "I left Australia hoping to cram a lifetime of adventures into one unforgettable year. Instead, I ended up with a new life. I'd taken one year's leave from my job as a television reporter in Sydney to travel around Europe. The idea was to immerse myself in fascinating foreign cultures, to work as a freelance journalist in Eastern Europe, which in my mind bubbled with unwritten, hard-hitting stories"

As George Moore quoted (1873-1958) - "A man travels the world in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it"

No comments: